THE FIRST INDUSTRY IN VOLOS WAS HALVAH-FACTORY “TSOYGKOY”
AND THE FIRST BAKERY POWERED BY ELECTRICITY IN VOLOS WAS “ATHANASIOY HARMANI”
In 1841 Dimitrios tsougkos founded the first horse powered bakery in Volos,
outside the castle gate which today is Papakuriazi street. In 1900 his two children
founded the first Halvah and Candy -factory in Thessaly, and in 1910 they built a new
factory on Vasani and 2nd novermber street and startED producing the already famous THERE halvah
in 1933 under the brand “D. and P. Tsougkos” and later on as “Tsougkos” the factory
continues its upward trend until the end of the 1980 decade, where after the retirement
of its shareholders, was shut down.
Then all the equipment of “Tsougkos” WERE bought by “eleftherios harmanis” and WERE set up
in a new factory in the Industrial Area of Volos. Eleutherios harmanis did not only buy the
equipment but he also employed all the specially trained employees fromt the old factory to
ensure that he had all the secrets and know how in order to produce the same high quality product.
The Harmani Family that was already in the bakery and sesamy business since 1901
still goes on, while slowly passing the baton to the 4th generation, distributing its products
into the global food market from the new hi-tech facilities in the Industrial Area of Volos.